h3
Image Map

Tuesday, September 27, 2011

'Cause I'm a Wanderer... I Wander Round, Round, Round

    Walking through the areas is the best part of every principal's day, I think! Well, unless it isn't the best part... and then it might be the most frustrating part.... So I am giving some thought this afternoon to being in the classrooms and making the most of it with specific, relevant feedback to help my teachers grow an dmy students succeed. I am attaching the walkthrough forms we are using this year. We created them last year and liked them so much we are giving them a second turn! I know many principals like the checklists and other quick formats. Personally, I like to sit and stay for a while, then give them written comments. We have three different forms that we use (1 for each of the first 3 quarters of school). These focus on my top three instructional loves: Quantum Learning environment, Love & Logic when dealing with children, and Marzano's High Yield Strategies. Walkthrough 1  Walkthrough 2   Walkthrough 3
     This year I stole a great format from my 1st grade teachers and adapted it for my personal use. They use this for all kinds of documentation. Here is page 1 (my chart is 2 pages).  Catherine's chart Each teacher has a square, and I take this with me whenever I leave my office. I might write memory joggers to myself so I can give praise slips to teachers, I might look for a specific quality (ex. no wasted time at the start of class; technology use; teachers monitoring), or if people catch me ("Do ya have a minute?"), I can remember what they wanted. I typed each grade level in a different font to find them quickly. Feel free to steal from me - er, my first grade teachers - and use it!

No comments:

Post a Comment