h3
Image Map

Monday, October 10, 2011

I'm Just Sayin'...

I have had the opportunity to teach an Educational Leadership Masters degree course over the past month and 1/2. During their coursework, the students were required to meet with their mentor (typically their principal) and have honest, reflective conversations. I enjoyed reading the feedback provided to my students. One principal wrote, "I'm not going to pull any punches..."

I say, "Why do we pull punches?" Why does it take a required assignment or scheduled meeting to have honest, candid conversation? If we are here for kids, and we all agree that we are, why are worried more about being nice than being honest? It is time to use our Fierce Conversation skill (if you haven't read Susan Scott's book, RUN and buy it!) to keep the main thing... the main thing.

Our "main thing" is kids, plain and simple. Let's not wait to have tough conversations, data-driven meetings, or bold questions. Let's "be nice" to our students and be their advocate as the leaders of our schools.

No comments:

Post a Comment